- The most Water Deficit States are Tamilnadu and Rajasthan in India. Whenever Tamilnadu asks for water from Karnataka in Cauvery, they raise the issue that Tamilnadu wastes water to the sea without utilizing the same. Tamilnadu Smart Waterways Project (TSWP) will be the only solution for all the problems.
- Tamilnadu Smart Waterways Project – (TSWP) is a segment in Ganga- Kumari National Waterways Project (NWP), conceived by Prof. Er. A.C. Kamaraj and developed by a team of devoted experts, numbering over 100, is a new concept for Networking of all major rivers by waterways.
- TSWP was presented to Former Chief Minister Dr.J.Jeyalalithaa by not less a person, the President Dr.A.P.J.Abdulkalam himself and then by Prof.A.C.Kamaraj and his team of Experts.
- The special feature of the project is retrieval of only floodwater, which is now going unutilized to the sea. It does not interfere with the utilizable flow (Water available at 75% dependability) in any basin.
- TSWP is eco friendly proposal & the biggest rain water harvesting (RWH) in the State.
- TSWP is based on Contour concepts and hence there is no pumping in the whole system and TSWP allows Two-way flow.
- All the west to east flowing rivers in Tamilnadu are linked with Tamilnadu Smart waterways GRID. This Smart waterways grid may be created at the height of around 250 MSL.
- The width of the Navigational waterway is 120 m and the depth is 10 m .
Estimate: Cost: Rs.50,000 Crores
Implementation: 5 years under PPP (Public Private Partnership) model