- The Networking of Rivers in MAHARASHTRA known as Maharashtra Waterways Project – (MWP) is a segment in Ganga- Kumari National Waterways Project (NWP), is a new concept for Networking of all major rivers by smart waterways.
- The project does not interfere with any of the existing irrigation systems but only strengthens.
- The special feature of the project is retrieval of only floodwater, which is now going unutilized to the sea. It does not interfere with the utilizable flow (Water available at 75% dependability) in any basin.
- MWP is the biggest rain water harvesting (RWH) in the State.
- MWP is taken on Contour concepts and hence there is no pumping in the whole system and MWP allows for Two-way flow.
- All the west to east flowing rivers in MAHARASHTRA are linked with MAHARASHTRA waterways GRID. This waterways grid may be created at the height of around 250 MSL.
- The width of the Navigational waterway is 120 m and the depth is 10 m.
Implementation: About 5 years under PPP (Public Private Partnership)
Finance: Cost of the project is Rs.1,05,000 Cr. Return : 12,000 Cr / year