The Kerala Waterways Project (KWP) for Networking of Rivers (NWR) It can be implemented for the reasons.
- No pumping, only gravitational flow.
- Harnesses only flood water for effective flood control and drought, saving thousands of Crores of Rupees every year
- Requires only 2% land against 10% by other plans
- No Financial strain to Government, since the project can be implemented
under Public Private Partnership (PPP)
- 650 Km Smart Waterways operational on all seasons.
- Drinking water for about 22 million people.
- 2600 MW of hydro power.
- 6 acres under irrigation to meet our food requirement by 2050.
- Can be implemented similar to National Highways as per our constitution.
- Provides enormous employment.
- The project is environment friendly as it reduces pollution greatly.
- The cost of the project is about Rs. 52,000Cr.
- The return from the project is favorable for PPP model
- KWP can be completed in 5 years.
- KWP is Legally, Socially, Economically and politically viable.