- Bihar Waterways Project – (BWP) is a segment in Ganga- Kumari National Waterways Project (NWP), conceived by Prof. Er. A.C. Kamaraj and developed by a team of devoted experts, numbering over 100, is a new concept for Networking of all major rivers by waterways.
- BWP was presented in the Bihar Assembly by not less a person, the President Dr.A.P.J.Abdulkalam
- The special feature of the project is retrieval of only floodwater, which is now going unutilized to the sea. It does not interfere with the utilizable flow (Water available at 75% dependability) in any basin.
- It is also proposed to divert water from North reducing flood there and utilize the water for power, drinking, irrigation etc., BWP is the biggest rain water harvesting (RWH) in the State.
- BWP is taken on Contour concepts and hence there is no pumping in the whole system and BWP allows for Two-way flow.
- The waterway is about 1000 Km long from west to east and connects all the major and minor Rivers enroute including Gandhak, Bagmati, Karcha, Kosi and Mahananda in North Bihar and Sone, Punpun, Morhan and Dhadhar in South Bihar.
Estimate: Cost of the project is Rs.60,000 Cr.
Implementation: About 5 years under PPP (Public Private Partnership)